First Baptist Church of Lake Park was first organized and constituted as Lake Park Baptist Church on July 24, 1892 by nine charter members.  Years have come and years have gone, but First Baptist has remained a pillar in the community of Lake Park, Georgia.  Highlights of the amazing history of our church include:

  • September 25, 1892 three trustees were appointed and the first building fund was established
  • February 26, 1893 the first sermon was preached in Lake Park Baptist’s new building and the Sunday School ministry was established
  • Summer 1893 a revival service was held and 19 new members joined Lake Park Baptist and the Lord’s Supper was observed and celebrated for the first time
  • In 1899 Lake Park Baptist had 50 members
  • In 1904 the Women’s Missionary Society (or WMU) was organized at the church
  • In 1906 Lake Park Baptist, along with several other local Baptist churches, united to form the Valdosta Baptist Association
  • In 1917 lightening struck the original church building which caused a devastating fire and two years later in 1919 a new building of stucco and brick was completed at a cost of $5,000
  • In 1950 the first sections of the Educational Building were added to the building and window unit air conditioning was also added.
  • In the 1960’s the fellowship hall and the kitchen were added to the present buildings
  • In 1970 the sanctuary was completely remodeled and bricked on the outside and the baptistery was added
  • In 1981 the educational building and fellowship hall were remodeled and the courtyard was enclosed to create new Sunday School classrooms and a new, larger fellowship hall
  • August 9, 1982 Lake Park Baptist Church voted to change the official name of the church to First Baptist Church of Lake Park
  • July 26, 1992 the church celebrated 100 years of ministry
  • October 29, 2006 First Baptist launched its first capital gifts campaign, Crossing Over That Others May Believe
  • October 14, 2007 the ground breaking ceremony was celebrated for the current sanctuary and educational building
  • October 5, 2008 the first service was held in the current sanctuary

Now with almost one hundred twenty-five years of rich history, First Baptist Church continues to be a light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the community and around the world.  The best days of First Baptist Church and the Church of Jesus Christ are still yet ahead.